A Little Goes a Long Way

Posted Friday, December 31, 2010 by Kally83
I wrote this before the holidays and sort of forgot about it, but decided that the topic is always relevant!

I was reading Tales of a Kitchen Witch’s blog today. It was entitled Charity in a Can and talked about how, as thoughtful as it is for us to pull whatever canned food we don’t use off our shelves and donate it, if you’re giving it to a specific person, it may not always be useful. When donating in this way, we need to think about the WHOLE meal, rather than just a few random cans.

Up until now, all my food bank donations have been of the “let’s see what I have in my cupboard” variety. As simple as it seems, her entry was quite eye-opening for me. Now, in all fairness, because I’m donating to our local food bank rather than a specific person, the volunteers there likely put together meals rather than random food items. However, my thoughts became, if everyone donates the way I have been, I imagine they probably receive an overabundance of canned beans, corn and carrots. So, I decided to check out our local food bank’s website to see if they had a listing of foods or items that were in short order. I wasn’t able to find anything, however, they did have this fantastic little gadget that allows you to donate $5 by putting in your mobile number. The donation would be taken off of your next phone bill.

Since I was sitting at home with Bean fast asleep upstairs, I certainly wasn’t going to be able to run to the grocery store, buy food and drop it off for donation. But this little gadget allowed me to sit at my computer and give. Granted, $5 may not seem like a lot but we all need to start somewhere!

Be sure to check your local food bank website this season and see if there’s any way you can help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment