My Misadventures in Sewing

Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 by Kally83
Awhile back I talked about wanting to learn how to sew. I had every intention of making my boys each dream pillows for Yule. Well, I finally sat down at my sewing machine today and figured since I was able to make a decent pair of boxer shorts back in the eighth grade, it should be like riding a bike right? I was wrong. Serves me right for thinking I could sit down and just learn/create a week before the holiday. Anywho, if there's anyone out there that knows anything about sewing, I'd really appreciate if you could troubleshoot these photos for me.

In trying to sew a basic straight stitch, the top looks like this:

Photobucket


Not too bad, but the bottom looked like this! (Sorry about the poor focus)

Photobucket

Any thoughts?
(Just FYI, this was just me practicing...thankfully I wasn't stupid enough to actually sit down and start sewing the pillows!!)

3 comments:

  1. Aine O'Brien

    Well, it's been a long time - but that is a bobbin problem of some sort. Try adjusting the tension, or completely rewind the bobbin and see if that helps.

  1. Anonymous

    I know I'm late to the party, but, yeah, the tension is all off. If it's been years since anyone used the machine, it might need a tune-up and oiling. Ask at your local fabric store about who/where to take it for that...

  1. Kally83

    I didn't even think of that!! Thank you so much!

Post a Comment