First Steps in Meditation

Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 by Kally83
PhotobucketIt's been a long time coming, but I finally sat down last week and started learning the art of meditation. You'd think, having been on this Pagan path of mine for a year and a half now, I'd have sat down at least ONCE and tried to meditate, but alas, it has never been.

Not to say that I haven't been MEANING to, but I always found a million and one excuses NOT to. Too busy, too tired etc etc. But I finally said, enough is enough and got off my butt (or rather, ON it) and listened to a podcast on how to meditate (which included a short guided meditation at the end). So far, I suck pretty bad at it. "Quieting my mind" has never been something I'm good at. But I kept trying and taking notes in my meditation journal. So far I've learned that silence is not good for me. At least following a guided meditation or having some music playing gives me somewhere to bring my focus...when it's too quiet, my mind can do nothing but wander. So I figured I'll practice with "noise" and once I have that down, we'll work on silence.

All that being said, a friend of mine posted on her Facebook status today about this Sadhana which will take place for 40 days. The pranayama (breathing) was challenging but well worth the effort and the chant was just beautiful. I felt incredibly at peace and empowered after performing this meditation and I'm really looking forward to the next 39 days!! If you have any interest in Kundalini Yoga, it's well worth checking out!

5 comments:

  1. Faerie Sage

    Thanks for your comment on my blog, I have just been checking out yours and will be back!
    Yes I understand what you mean, often, especially in modern art etc, we end up with lots of sharp corners and swift lines, which are not recommended in feng shui! Keep in mind to do what feels right and feels good to you in the space or you are defeating the purpose! If you have art or other objects that you really love that are creating your poison arrows then consider moving or re-positioning them rather than getting rid of articles you like :)
    Blessings

  1. Amber

    If you guys are visiting Kally's blog from the 15 Days of Welcoming the God blog party, leave a comment here, then go back to my blog and leave me a comment saying "Wild" and you'll get an extra entry to the Octoberfarm giveaway!

  1. mom68

    I really need to add meditation into my life, but I don't think I ever have the free time or the privacy to do it.

  1. Magaly Guerrero

    I'll definitely take a look. I'm always looking for new relaxation techniques, specially after a long day of writing.

    Thanks for sharing.

  1. Lydia

    I cannot sit still and meditate .. so I run! That is my time to center myself. Someone once said to me "You can solve the world's problems by going out for a good run" :-)

Post a Comment